Chopped bell peppers, cilantro, beans, sweet corn and lots of super healthy and natural ingredients. The cowboy caviar recipe is easy to make, vegan and delicious.
Cowboy caviar is a healthy recipe, which contains black-eyed peas, black beans, and a pile of chopped fresh veggies in a sweet and spicy dressing that just really hits the spot.
Also, it is super easy to make!
Sugar Notes: Some readers have made this recipe and were disappointed by the sweet taste of all the sugar. This is how we make it in the Midwest. Please read the notes at the bottom of the recipe to learn more.
For the corn, the original recipe calls extra sweet corn (in a can) which may also be labeled as super sweet corn, depending on the brand. It’s a smaller can than normal, 11 ounces instead of 15 ounces. If you can’t find it or would rather not pay the premium, use regular canned sweet corn (not creamed) or even 3/4 cup frozen corn, thawed.
Beyond that, sharpen your knife and get chopping. This recipe calls for 1/2 cup each of red and green bell peppers, but if you just want to purchase 1 pepper and use the whole thing, that would work too. And, you’ll need an entire bunch of cilantro in order to get 1 cup chopped. If you hate cilantro, leave it out or substitute parsley.
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup sugar (see notes)
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 (15 ounces) can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounces) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (11 ounces) can super sweet corn, drained (see notes)
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped cilantro (1 bunch)